A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

Have you ever tried to teach a student, or help a student when you don't speak the same language? I have. I spend a lot of time pointing and drawing pictures.
As I watch the ESL teacher teach mostly in Spanish I wonder if I could teach his class. I wondered today if I could teach an entire math class without saying a word.
When I teach math I spend most of my time drawing pictures. If I'm not drawing pictures I'm letting students mess around with manipulatives. If we aren't doing that I try to get the students to work in groups and "discover" or find a pattern.
Could I teach without speaking a word? I doubt it. Could I teach when we don't speak the same language? Maybe, Certainly if we had a good number of words in common. I might even be a better teacher for it.

Next time you teach try using fewer words and see what happens.

Or as Dan says "What Can You Do With This"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Myself a Better Teacher Episode 1

Writing my lessons with OpenAI

Finally getting around to playing with CHATGPT