The Silent Apocalypse

It is so surreal. The silence. 
Fog settling over a field


I've been home during the week before and for the most part it was normal. You could hear people in other houses and yards working. the occasional delivery vehicle or something. This shelter in place feels different.

It's quiet. I sit on my computer studying or writing and watch as families walk together down the street. I've seen people walk before, the occasional family, but almost always in the evening and most likely one person walking a dog. Now you'll see an entire family walking, kids up front goofing and the parents together following behind. When they pass another family it's always on the far side of the street.  I'm am not on a cul-de-sac but close enough that there really is no reason to pass my house if you don't live in the neighborhood.

I've been out a few times. It's quiet, but not quite as dead as you sometimes see on social media. I not alone on the road. The cops are in their best speed trap spots. I think they are pretty bored as well. It was weird to pass the mall on a Sunday afternoon and see an empty parking lot.

The stores that are open aren't very busy (at least the non-grocery stores). People react weird when I stop 6 feet away. No thanks I don't want to get any closer to you. I actually backed away a bit when the hardware store clerk who was helping me stepped into my 6 ft bubble. 
I went to borrow a tool from a friend. No hand shake, he didn't offer to help put it in my car as he normally would. The kids went off to play a bit while we talked, everyone for the most part observed social distancing.  It was kind of strange seeing someone in person who wasn't family. 

Everyone seems to be preparing as if riots will start and governments will fall, but we know that won't happen. The fall of civilization isn't quick. It's a death of a thousand cuts. At any time we can stop. We can step back and change course. 
Civilization, society, government, it's supposed to help us. There will always be those who use this service for personal gain, but for the most part they are held in check by a communal agreement on what is right and wrong. Most of us just want to leave the world a bit better than we found it. 
Lately it feels like those who lust for power or wealth or fame have become more numerous and more entrenched. As if we are reaching a tipping point where the majority who don't wield such personal power are at the end of their rope and might start doing something about it. I don't believe it. 

There is an election here in just about 6 months. We can change. We can change a little bit. We can change a lot. We can step closer to the knife so it cuts deeper. We can make minor changes and hope someday things change. We can make a major change and heal. It isn't about the person it's about We The People
Will we finally rise up and require our own government serve us? Will we stop blaming each other and trust most people are doing their best? Will we respect ourselves? Will we stop fearing people? Will we realize that life can be different, life can be better, life doesn't have to be, shouldn't be the same for our kids as it was for us? 
Can we finally really believe that the future is bright? (I gotta wear shades)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Myself a Better Teacher Episode 1

Writing my lessons with OpenAI

Finally getting around to playing with CHATGPT