Making Myself a Better Teacher Episode 1

My first podcast with a friend Joy Kirr.

The audio file 
Joy is a local teacher whom I was following on Twitter. I don't think I even realized she was local when I first started following her. One day she tweeted out an activity she was hosting at the school she worked at the time. I was like, hey that's right down the road I should go. And so I did, with my wife and kids in tow we went. I just really love making these connections. 

We haven't talked much in the last few years but when I decided to start this podcast series and I was trying to think of teachers that I would like to chat with I remembered Joy and thought, "Yes, she is a teacher I would like to learn from." So here we are with my first episode. 

As I reviewed to the chat I thought I would mark down some of the parts I thought were good.

Around minute 3 we talk about low and high points in education and she really embodies a growth mindset.
Keep those keepsakes, you meant something to your students and those things will remind you in years to come.

Minute 6 what does good teaching look like. Not every student will like you because they have different preferences for types of teachers. It's going to be hectic. I would love if I could learn to help students transition from one activity to another.

Around 10 minutes talk about classroom management strategies. She had an idea for a change to make in her own classroom. A few days later she shared it with me via Twitter. 


A bit after 15 minutes we talk about why we still teach in classrooms and not with video lectures.

Around 18 minutes I ask her how do you know your successful? Surprise it has nothing to do with grades.

I follow up with an ask about grades near minute 20.

Minute 25 was a really funny quote from a student.

Finally I asked her to share some of her resources.

Here are the resources I curate and share with parents and teachers:
Feedback LiveBinder - tinyurl.com/FeedbackBinder
My own grading explanation - tinyurl.com/ShiftGrading
My own books - shiftthis.weebly.com/

Comments

Joy Kirr said…
This was great fun! Thanks for the nudge to do something when I know something can be done! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Writing my lessons with OpenAI

Finally getting around to playing with CHATGPT