I’ve heard that good students will survive a poor teacher, but bad students will never recover.
I’ve also heard:
Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.
Quality teachers get students involved.
How do you get students involved?
· Make them feel safe in the classroom
o Safe from violence
o Safe from ridicule
o Safe to be wrong
o Safe to ask for real help
· Preview what will be learned
o Point out the things they will learn
· Give an activity and let them do it
o Refuse to accept anything until after they try
§ Students don’t try because
· They don’t see the point
· They don’t understand
· They need to keep up walls physical and mental
· They know it isn’t important
§ Give them the skills they need to complete the project.
· There are students who don’t try because they don’t know how to do it and they are afraid to admit weakness.
· Especially at first keep the activities short
o Check for understanding often
· Summarize the learning after each activity
o I cannot emphasize enough how important this is
· Summarize learning for the day
o Again, I cannot emphasize enough how important this is
· Tie learning into concepts taught and learned earlier.