Rising Test Scores

I used to blog for my old company, but they took the blog down. I am
not actually allowed to own the writings I put up on that blog, but as
I reference them on occasion in my writing I am putting those articles
up in my archives here for reference sake. I'll put the tag GS on those
articles noting that they were originally published on the http://schoolfinder.globalscholar.com/blog/


Rising Test Scores

July 22, 2008 – 5:06 am by Brendan

Would you complain if your child finally passed the state standardized tests? Public schools across New York have shown an increase in the percentage of children who have figured out how to pass standardized tests. Some folks of course are claiming it a huge success while others are looking for any excuse to call it a fluke.

Richard Mills, New York state education commissioner, finds the results encouraging and exciting. He also claims the gains are the result of schools doing more to monitor improvement throughout the year. Mayor Bloomberg, New York City mayor that is, declared it a “wonderful day for New York”. Personally, I would think that the increases can be contributed to improved education methods, practice, luck, and a bit of teaching to the test. While the gains are impressive, at the end of the day 40% of New York City students still can’t read at grade level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Myself a Better Teacher Episode 1

Writing my lessons with OpenAI

Finally getting around to playing with CHATGPT